residential/smb internet access in 2019 - help?

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Apr 10 20:22:16 UTC 2019

On 4/10/19 1:55 PM, Jeff Shultz wrote:
> It seems like_someone_  has to be the CLEC and "Carrier of Last
> Resort" for the area. Not that that means you are going to get the
> service you want.

Where I live, you can get AT&T POTS from the ILEC of record.  Sometimes
it even works...when their cross box/remote terminal isn't full of
water, has power/batteries haven't died, etc.!  They really push people
toward their "wireless home phone" solution which is basically an LTE
radio and ATA in a box.  It's somewhat significantly cheaper than their
wireline POTS service.

No DSL, no HFC/cable, no consumer fiber.  T1 is available at full tariff
rate from the 90s plus about 20 miles of line extension charges.  ISDN
is no longer offered (or so they say).

Only wISP worth mentioning (i.e. can deliver more than 1Mbps on a good
day) is myself (fiber coming this summer hopefully).  Basically the
entire township is a dead zone as far as wireline goes.  I pay dearly
for my dedicated fiber backhaul to make service worth using available.

I'm about 10 minutes from the county seat which has population over 10k
and about 45 minutes from downtown metro of >800k.  Most gov. agencies
have the entire county flagged as "not rural" and ineligible for
subsidies.  These areas definitely exist.

--
Brandon Martin