Purchasing IPv4 space - due diligence homework

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Apr 3 16:12:59 UTC 2019

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 12:04 PM, Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 11:58:23 -0400, Jared Mauch said:
>
>> Mostly curious if you are doing IPv6 if you see that slowing your need for v4
>> or if they are growing at the same rate.
>
> And remember kids - the more you can push off to native IPv6, the longer you can
> push off an upgrade to your CGNAT box. ;)

For me, this is a big reason why if you’re doing CGNAT you want to compliment it with IPv6.

At IETF last week there was an interesting discussion about the fact that things like DHCPv6-PD does not explicitly say that a DHCPv6-PD prefix should be inserted into the routing table (!), and you may not have the tools you need to mange these prefixes as a result.  In DHCPv4 land of course you give out prefixes that are connected, but in DHCPv6-PD you may get something from a /56 to a /64 which may mean that route needs to go into your IGP.

- Jared