modeling residential subscriber bandwidth demand

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Apr 3 16:03:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 03:45:17AM -0400, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 23:53:06 -0700, Ben Cannon said:
> > A 100/100 enterprise connection can easily support hundreds of desktop users
> > if not more.  It???s a lot of bandwidth even today.
>
> And what happens when a significant fraction of those users fire up Netflix with
> an HD stream?
>
> We're discussing residential not corporate connections, I thought....

Yes, Enterprise requirements are certainly different, though inching
upwards with the prevalance of SaaS services like Salesforce, O365 and
file sharing services (the latter are a growing % of our traffic at
branch offices).

I feel like our rule of thumb on the Enterprise side is in the 1.5-2Mbps
per user range these days (for Internet).

Ray