Purchasing IPv4 space - due diligence homework

Torres, Matt Matt.Torres at state.or.us
Wed Apr 3 15:20:17 UTC 2019

All,
Side stepping a migration to IPv6 debate.... I'd like to hear advise from the group about performing due diligence research on an IPv4 block before purchasing it on the secondary market (on behalf of an end-user company). My research has branched into two questions: a) What 'checks' should I perform?, and b) what results from those checks should cause us to walk away?

My current list is:

  1.  Check BGP looking glass for route. It should not show up in the Internet routing table. If it does, walk away.
  2.  Check the ARIN registry. The longer history without recent transfers or changes is better. I don't know what explicit results should cause me to walk away here.
  3.  Check SORBS blacklisting. It should not show up except maybe the DUHL list(?). If it does, walk away.

Anything else? Advise?
Thanks,
Matt