modeling residential subscriber bandwidth demand

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Apr 3 05:35:21 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Paul Nash wrote:

> FWIW, I have a 250 subscribers sitting on a 100M fiber into Torix.  I
> have had no complains about speed in 4 1/2 years.  I have been planning
> to bump them to 1G for the last 4 years, but there is currently no
> economic justification.

I know FTTH footprints where peak evening average per customer is 3-5
megabit/s. I know others who claim their customers only average equivalent
5-10% of that.

It all depends on what services you offer. Considering my household has
250/100 for 40 USD a month I'd say your above solution wouldn't even be
enough to deliver an acceptable service to even 10 households.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se