modeling residential subscriber bandwidth demand

Louie Lee louiel at google.com
Tue Apr 2 18:52:10 UTC 2019

+1 Also on this.

>From my viewpoint, the game is roughly the same for the last 20+ years. You
might want to validate that your per-customer bandwidth use across your
markets is roughly the same for the same service/speeds/product. If you
have that data over time, then you can extrapolate what each market's
bandwidth use would be when you lay on a customer growth forecast.

But for something that's simpler and actionable now, yeah, just make sure
that your upstream and peering(!!) links are not congested. I agree that
the 50-75% is a good target not only for the lead time to bring up more
capacity, but also to allow for spikes in traffic for various events
throughout the year.

Louie
Google Fiber