ARIN RPKI TAL deployment issues

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Thu Sep 27 11:12:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-26, Mark Milhollan <mlm at pixelgate.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, Job Snijders wrote:
>
>>We really need to bring it back down to "apt install rpki-cache-validator"
>
> You say this as if no packager has a way to display and perhaps require
> approval of the license nor any way to fetch something remote as part of
> the installation process, e.g., the Microsoft "freely" supplied TTF
> files ...
>
>   # zypper install fetchmsttfonts
>   [...packager stuff...]
>   (1/1) Installing: fetchmsttfonts-11.4-42.28.noarch .........................................[done]
>   Running: fetchmsttfonts-11.4-42.28-fetchmsttfonts.sh.txt (fetchmsttfonts, /var/adm/update-scripts)
>   EULA:
>   END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR
>   MICROSOFT SOFTWARE
>
>   IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is
>   a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and
>   [...]
>   andale32.exe (https://sourceforge.net/projects/corefonts/files/the%20fonts/final/andale32.exe):
>     Fetching   ... done
>     Extracting ... done
>   [...]
>
> I bet apt, dnf, pacman, pkg_add, yum, etc., do as well -- actually I
> know some of those do.

Some do, some don't.

As far as OpenBSD is concerned, pkg_add will install signed packages
distributed by OpenBSD, they can only do that if free redistribution is
possible. For things like the Microsoft fonts, they can be installed, but
by a different process which is a lot more work.

There's a big difference between this and something like the Microsoft
fonts in your example: the fonts are clearly creative work and copyrightable.
A generated integer in an RFC-specified format? That seems less likely.