ARIN RPKI TAL deployment issues

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Wed Sep 26 05:14:20 UTC 2018

Hi, John.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 22:56 John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> Indeed - In the process of complying with a different legal environment,
> ARIN sometimes has to behave differently than RIRs that are located
> elsewhere...
>
> [...]
>
> The significant difference for ARIN is that we operate under a different
> legal regime, and as a matter of US law, it appears that we cannot rely
> only upon terms and conditions published in our website as evidence of
> informed agreement; i.e. within the US legal framework, we need a specific
> act of acceptance in order to have a binding agreement.

Without venturing too far off topic, can you briefly compare this situation
versus e.g. licensing of open source software? Often, such software is
(apparently) licensed without express agreement - using bundled license
files, comments inside source files, etc - and seems to accommodate the IPR
and liability needs of developers and their supporting organizations. Is it
ARIN's understanding that this approach is not useful for RPKI data in the
US, etc?

In any case, I also look forward to hearing the Overcoming Legal Barriers
to RPKI Adoption talk next week (on Monday afternoon, IIRC), and I hope
that the Q&A discussion (and evening follow-up) will be helpful.

Thanks,
-Benson