ARIN RPKI TAL deployment issues

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Sep 25 21:17:56 UTC 2018

On 25 Sep 2018, at 5:04 PM, Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:

>> It would be informative to know how many organizations potentially
>> have concerns about the indemnification clause in the RPA but already
>> agree to indemnification via RIPE NCC Certification Service Terms and
>> Conditions.
>
> This seems a matter of personal curiosity that perhaps distracts from
> the problem at hand: the ARIN TAL is less widely deployed than the other
> TALs.

Job -

I would have to disagree regarding whether question of indemnification is a simply a distraction…
It has been raised by the operator community multiple times, and in fact, you indirectly reference
the same issue by quoting a sentence in the write-up within your post -

>> I quote Ben's assessment:
>>
>>     """Using the data, we can also see that the providers that have not
>>     downloaded the ARIN TAL. Either because they were not aware that
>>     they needed to, or could not agree to the agreement they have with
>>     it.”"

I believe that you correctly characterize the situation; i.e:

      1) Either they were not aware they needed it (note this is trivial to fix with outreach/education and requires skills well within the range of anyone who is going to be doing routing validation based on RPKI data), or

      2) They could not agree to ARIN RPA agreement (for which the most cited reason is the indemnification clause, but perplexing given agreement to other indemnification clauses such as RIPE’s Certification services.)

Further analysis and characterization of those not using the ARIN TAL would help enormously in understanding which of the scenarios above is dominant, and prioritize efforts for addressing the situation.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO