Reaching out to ARIN members about their RPKI INVALID prefixes

Jakob Heitz (jheitz) jheitz at cisco.com
Thu Sep 20 05:22:20 UTC 2018

Owen,

You are correct in that RPKI leaves many problems unsolved.

One that it does solve is prefix splitting.
If I issue a ROA for prefix 10.1.2.0/23, any announcement of 10.1.2.0/24 (including mine) will be declared INVALID, because that announcement is covered by the ROA and the mask length is longer than maxlen.

Of course, as you rightly point out, if I do NOT announce that prefix myself, then anyone is free to announce it anywhere and have it declared VALID just by prepending my ASN.

Regards,
Jakob.