Console Servers

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 09:00:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 09:50, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> I think WAN indeed is very market situational, and if you need to
> support world, it is beneficial to have solution which supports many
> WAN options, without needing external boxes and external power bricks.
> We try to do just ethernet, but even that is already being provided as
> copper, fibre and in one market with PPPoE, all which are non-issues
> by going with Cisco. I do wish I had second option, I do wish JNPR SRX
> would support async serial ports.

Agreed, this is where the Cisco's shine. We can insert a mixture of
ADSL/VDSL, Ethernet and serial cards into the same box. It's a nice
all in one solution that supports all our various OOB connection types
and the console connectivity, and we could connect a IP management
switch.

I mentioned earlier that OOB inside a DC is different to in a
telephone exchange, and the OP didn't mention which was required. I
forgot to mention that a third kind of OOB is for kit that is outside.
If you need temperature hardened and DC powered OOB kit your options
dramatically shrink and it's worth considering if you're in that boat.

Cheers,
James.