Reaching out to ARIN members about their RPKI INVALID prefixes

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 04:29:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 6:22 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 18, 2018, at 15:07 , Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 02:44:30PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> >> ROAs are useful for one hop level validation. At the second AS hop
> >> they are 100% useless.
> >
> > This conversation cannot be had without acknowledging there are multiple
> > layers of defense in securing BGP. We should also acknowledge that the
> > majority of Internet traffic passes over AS_PATHs that are only one hop.
> > Networks that exchange significant amounts of traffic, tend to peer
> > directly with each other.
>
> Actually, I don’t buy that at all.
>
> Without going into too much detail, I know of at least one former employer
> who is quite
> well peered, distributes a great deal of traffic and sends a tremendous
> amount of it
> via multiple ASNs.

an IP resource holder can sign multiple ROA for a single prefix, it's
perfectly valid to have:
  157.130.0.0/16 AS112
  157.130.0.0/16 AS113
  157.130.0.0/16 AS701

So 'peered well via multiple ASN isn't really a problem here'. Are you
making an argument of the form: "1% of the problems are not solved so this
solution can't possibly work" ?

Using ROA from the RPKI system tied through/to the IRR data and applied as
filters on the bgp sessions of a network should provide that ASN with more
assurance that they will not accept and propagate a route hijack or
mistake. Adding in validation is nice as well, and may allow you to be a
little less diligent about route filtering... I think more than 1
protection is a good plan though (OV + filters seems sane to me, especially
in a world where you can automate that whole lot)

> >> Please explain to me how you distinguish good from bad in the
> >> following scenario… You peer with AS6939. You receive routes for
> >> 2001:db8:f300::/48 with the following AS Paths
> >>
> >>      1. 6939 1239 54049 2312 1734
> >>      2. 6939 44046 12049 174 1734
> >>
> >> Which one is valid? Which one is not? How did the ROA tell you this?
> >
> > Both path 1 and 2 are invalid, because of peerlock we'd never accept
> > 1239 behind 6939, or 174 behind 6939. AS_PATH filtering combined with
> > Origin Validation is where the magic is.
>
> OK, poor examples crafted at random. Point is there are plenty of valid AS
> Paths
> out there that you can’t actually validate.

I think Job's point is that there really are note that many... perhaps
that's an NTT particular view? I know that my production network's view is
similar in 'shorter as  paths'. I expect that in large-isp-land it's more
prevalent than not.

> >> Indeed, if peerlock gets wider deployment, it might prove useful. But
> >> unless I’m really misunderstanding peerlock, I don’t see that RPKI
> >> brings much else to the table in addition.
> >
> > Wide deployment is not relevant, this is a unilateral defense mechanism,
> > so I fear there may indeed be a degree of misunderstanding.
>
> Point being that there are very very few ASNs using peer lock. Peer lock
> alone AIUI pretty well covers the issue. RPKI provides very little (if any)
> verification.

I suppose if you are happy just doing peer lock on/for your network and
customers then cool!
The RPKI system isn't being forced on you. It seems like a helpful addition
to me, but that may not be your outlook.

-chris