Massive Price Increase for X-conns at Telehouse Chelsea, NYC

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 18 19:26:53 UTC 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 12:02 PM, Bruce H McIntosh <bhm at ufl.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Current list price for 10G Xconnect at the major colo site in Israel is
>>> $5840/month.   Discounts are available :-)
>>> Keep complaining about $350/mo costs.  You have no idea how lucky you are.
>>>
>>> -Hank
>> So, you’re arguing that because the prices in Israel are 15*ridiculous, we should stop complaining about 1*ridiculous?
>> You have no idea how distorted your perspective is.
>
> It's not necessarily distorted, it's just a different frame of reference. I can remember a conversation like this at a Joint Techs meeting many years back. Several of us were outgassing about how expensive it was to get 100mbps connections off our campuses, until the guy from the University of Hawaii told us how much he was paying per month for a *T1* to the mainland. :D

Sure, but in this case, we’re not comparing transaoceanic circuits to local loops, we’re comparing single pair fiber cross connects between two points in the same datacenter or datacenter campus.

I’d argue that the difference between reasonable (≤$500 one-time and ≤$50 MRC) and $300 MRC is within range of argument, but I cannot see any way in which an argument can be made that $5840 MRC is not a distortion in that same circumstance.

Owen