Reaching out to ARIN members about their RPKI INVALID prefixes

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Tue Sep 18 11:56:00 UTC 2018

Dear NANOG,

when I approached ARIN about how they feel about reaching out to their members about
prefixes that are unreachable in a route origin validation (ROV) environment,
John Curran (CEO ARIN) referred me to you (see email bellow - quoted with permission).

The question I asked ARIN was specifically:

John Curran (CEO ARIN) wrote:
> If there is evidence of community
> Interest, then ARIN can conduct a community consultation to determine
> our best role in this area, but you first should encourage discussion
> within the network operator community at appropriate forums.

So here is my question to the network operator community in the ARIN region to
gather if there are any (dis)agreements/opinions about such a notification by ARIN:

What do you think about the idea that ARIN actively informs their affected members
about prefixes that are unreachable in an RPKI ROV environment?

The goal of that outreach/notification would be
- to reduce the number of broken legacy ROAs from the past
- reduce the negative impact on reachability of affected members.

looking forward to receiving your feedback!

kind regards,
nusenu

[1] https://medium.com/@nusenu/towards-cleaning-up-rpki-invalids-d69b03ab8a8c

--