netflix OCA in a CG-NAT world

Radu-Adrian Feurdean nanog at radu-adrian.feurdean.net
Tue Sep 18 08:20:32 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018, at 17:48, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I also strongly suggest you look at how to get native IPv6 from your
> clients behind the CG-NAT rolled out.  I know many folks have had issues

Getting IPv6 to your customers is good, but they still have to use it.

If I look at my stats, I can see that the IPv4:IPv6 ratio for Netflix is 5.5:1, while for Google it's 1.1:1 and for Facebook 1.33:1 (peak-time ratios, when traffic is mostly from residential users) . The best explanation I could get is people may use Netflix from devices that do not support IPv6, such as some/most (not-so-old) Smart TVs. There's also the issue of some brain-dead wifi APs that filter or severely limit traffic required for proper IPv6 operation (multicast comes to my mind).

I'm not even mentioning the situation in the "pro"/"enterprise" world (much worse) since it doesn't (or it's not supposed to) generate much Netflix traffic (still, during the morning IPv4:IPv6 ratio for Netflix can go as low as 3.5:1).

--
R-A.F.