automatic rtbh trigger using flow data

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Sun Sep 2 03:19:00 UTC 2018

On Sun 2018-Sep-02 10:09:32 +0700, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

>On 1 Sep 2018, at 1:43, Hugo Slabbert wrote:
>
>>Generally on the TCP side you can try SYN or ACK floods, but you're
>>not going to get an amplified reflection.
>
>Actually, TCP reflection/amplification has been on the increase; the
>attacker is guaranteed at least 4:1 amplification in most
>circumstances, the number of reflectors/amplifiers is for all
>practical purposes infinite, and they're mostly legitimate,
>non-broken services/applications.

Fair.  I guess in terms of common reflect/amp vector at $dayjob we just see
UDP-based significantly more frequently on large volumetric attacks given
the amp factor on some vectors is so huge.

Some relevant reading I need to revisit:
https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/conference/protected-files/woot14_slides_kuhrer.pdf
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/woot14/woot14-kuhrer.pdf

>And as always, it's important to note that with all
>reflection/amplification attacks, the root of the issue is the lack of
>universal source-address validation (SAV).  Without the ability to spoof,
>there would be no reflection/amplification attacks.

ACK, pun intended.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal