Brocade SLX Internet Edge

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Oct 31 22:44:19 UTC 2018

On 10/31/18 6:30 PM, Ryan Hamel wrote:
> 140K IPv6 equates to about 560K IPv4 routes, leaving the end user with 940K IPv4, which is not a lot of ceiling space considering we're at 741K IPv4 + and 60K IPv6 (240k IPv4 equivalent) now (941K total). This will leave you with 559K. I am not sure what the OP has for peering but with trying to keep 20% of TCAM space free, and keeping up with the current rate of rise according to CIDR-report, I'd say 4 years product lifetime if the OS has excellent TCAM management.

I'm actually in the process of spec'ing one of these (if indeed it's
appropriate) for a limited full-Internet-routes application and indeed
these are the questions I've been asking of my rep.

On "classic Netiron" (MLX, etc.) the numbers they often quoted were
actually somewhat pessimistic in that they were one of their stock TCAM
profiles, and you actually ended up with BOTH the IPv4 and IPv6 route
counts simultaneously.

> Considering how the device looks like a switch and the SLX9850 uses Broadcom sillicon, I'm thinking it must use the Jericho chipset or some variant to get that kind of performance. In the end, your mileage may vary.

I want to say it's a Qumran.  They apparently have a bigger SLX pizzabox
in the works that claims 4M IPv4 FIB and some stupid amount of buffering
(8GB IIRC?).  I know that's a Qumran, but that also seems like a truly
huge amount of TCAM, so I dunno if that's with "typical aggregation" or
some other shady trick.
--
Brandon Martin