It's been 20 years today (Oct 16, UTC). Hard to believe.

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Oct 17 03:20:16 UTC 2018

On October 16, 2018 at 19:35 mike at mtcc.com (Michael Thomas) wrote:
 > I believe that the IETF party line these days is that Postel was wrong
 > on this point. Security is one consideration, but there are others.

Security fits into all this, being liberal in what you accept doesn't
mean you do whatever they ask.

Quite the contrary it means make sure your code doesn't roll over dead
or misbehaving just because you received an unexpected input.

Not doing that was exactly what allowed for example buffer overflow
attacks.

The target software wasn't liberal in what it accepts which is to say
anticipated that someone might send them a very long string and should
either buffer it correctly or truncate it. They assumed they'd only be
sent reasonably short strings.

--
        -Barry Shein