NAT on a Trident/Qumran(/or other?) equipped whitebox?

Paul Zugnoni paulzugnoni at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 22:22:39 UTC 2018

The problem asking whether this can be done "at line rate" in a specific
switch platform ignores these critical measurements:
- what's the packet rate expected for the nat flows?
- will the control plane add a forwarding plane rule for every new session?
if so, how quickly can that rule be pushed to the ASIC? how many per second
can be done? I think you'll quickly find that new session rate will be a
more limiting factor to the thruput than the bandwidth of the involved
ports. An architecture to support that would be far more expensive. Maybe
this was the case on the platforms Joel noted, and I believe modern
"hardware based" firewall like higher end SRX and some Fortinet.
- If not with the architecture above, then every packet needs to be punted
to the CPU. What's the bw between ASIC and CPU? Consider the CPU is doing
the decision making based on flows; the control plane usually has only 1G
to the ASIC, sometimes and probably increasingly common is 10G.

For these reasons I doubt the 7150s in the original email can dynamically
NAT at line rate

PZ