NAT on a Trident/Qumran(/or other?) equipped whitebox?

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Oct 16 15:55:58 UTC 2018

On 10/16/18 10:05 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> NAT/PAT is an N:1 swapping (map) though so a state/translation table
> is required to correctly "swap" back the return traffic. MPLS for
> example is 1:1 mapping/action. NAT/PAT state tables tend to fill
> quickly so to aid with this we also have timers to time out the
> translations and free up space in the translation table, and also
> track e.g. TCP RST or TCP FIN to remove entries from the table, so
> it's not "just swapping".

I do wonder, though, if these popular switching ASICs are flexible
enough in terms of their header matching and manipulation capabilities
to handle packet mangling and forwarding in hardware for a given NAT
state entry while punting anything that requires a state change to a CPU
for inspection and state update.

You'd need a somewhat more powerful CPU than your typical L3 switch
might have, but it seems like you'd still be able to offload the vast
majority of the actual packet processing to hardware.

State table size (on a typical "switching" ASIC) might be an issue
before you could actually fill up a 10Gbps+ link with typical SP
multi-user traffic flows, I guess, and given that a moderate-spec PC can
keep up with 10Gbps without much issue these days, maybe it's a non-starter.
--
Brandon Martin