bloomberg on supermicro: sky is falling

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 10 15:25:02 UTC 2018

You are free to disagree all you want with the default deny-all policy but it is a DoD 5200.28-STD requirement and NSA Orange Book TCSEC requirement.  It is baked into all approved secure operating systems including SELINUX so it is really not open for debate if you have meet these requirements.  Remember we were talking about Intel agency systems here, not the general public.  It is SUPPOSED to be painful to open things to the Internet in those environments.  It needs to take an affirmative act to do so.  It is a simple matter of knowing what each and every connection outside the network is there for.  It also reveals application vulnerabilities and compromises as well as making it easy to identify apps that are compromised.

In several of the corporate networks I have worked on, they had differing policies for different network zones.  For example, you might allow your users out to anywhere on the Internet (at least for common public protocols like HTTP/HTTPS) but not allow any servers out to the Internet except where they are in a DMZ offering public services or destination required for support (like patching and remote updates).  Seemed like good workable policy.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL