Oct. 3, 2018 EAS Presidential Alert test

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Oct 10 15:13:18 UTC 2018

I agree 100% and also have noticed that severe weather systems tend to more severe in rural areas due to either open spaces (the plains) or trees (forested areas) doing more damage.  I can tell you from living the in Midwest that the storms in Iowa and Nebraska are way worse than the ones that hit Chicago.  A weather guy I know told me it has something to do with convective heat rising from major cities which is why you rarely see tornados hitting downtown Chicago and New York.  I have noticed that for some reason local weather alerts seem to be more reliable than the national level tests on cellular.  Don't know if it has to do with shear volume or what.  Also, like I said earlier in rural areas you are less likely to run into a bystander that knows what is going on.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL