Oct. 3, 2018 EAS Presidential Alert test

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Tue Oct 9 18:00:30 UTC 2018

Once upon a time, Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> said:
> And I'm not
> aware of weather alerts being broadcast to cell phones without having
> an app installed, and it's unreliable.

The same part of the phone that was used for the Presidential Alert can
also be used for weather alerts (it is used some around here, but don't
know how reliably).

> *wonders what smoke alarm coverage is*

Isn't that part of building code for all new houses for at least 10
years?  I think it is where I live.

> The only down-side I see to that is that my assistant products lose
> power immediately when the grid fails.  My smoke alarm is wired, but
> it has a battery backup.

So power your assistant from an UPS... maybe with a PoE splitter (since
low-voltage Cat5 is easier to run)?
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>