v6 DNSSEC fail, was Buying IPv4 blocks

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Oct 5 05:53:24 UTC 2018

> On 5 Oct 2018, at 3:12 pm, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>

> On 5/Oct/18 03:07, John Levine wrote:
>
>> Yeah, V6 UDP fragmentation and anycast are bad news.  You can sort of
>> fix it by doing all your v6 DNSSEC DNS queries over TCP but it's a lot
>> easier to stick to v4.
>>
>> Geoff Huston has written about this a lot and it's a well known problem
>> in the DNS community.  I'm surprised if it's news to anyone here.
>>

>> https://blog.apnic.net/2017/08/22/dealing-ipv6-fragmentation-dns/
>
> In BIND, I think this can be solved by using the "minimal-responses" knob.
>
> Mark.

If you don’t want fragmented IPv6 UDP responses use

	server ::/0 { edns-udp-size 1232; };

That’s 1280 - IPv6 header - UDP header.  Anything bigger than that can theoretically
be fragmented.  You will then have to deal with PMTUD failures as the servers switch
over to TCP.

What I find ridiculous is firewall vendor that claim to support adding stateful rules
work around the lack of passing fragments.  This is IP and fragments are part
and parcel of IP whether it is IPv4 or IPv6.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org