Towards an RPKI-rich Internet (and the appropriate allocation of responsibility in the event an RIR RPKI CA outage)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 1 13:09:25 UTC 2018

On 1/Oct/18 14:23, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> I need to swap out the wheels on my car.  I think I know better than
> to read the manual to, say, understand how much torque I should apply
> to each bolt, or what pattern I should use when tightening the bolts.
>  Or, I read the manual but decide it’s too hard to understand, and I
> don’t ask for help in clearing up some of the grey areas.
>
> I change the wheels anyway.  In the end, it looks right.  They roll.
>  Meh.  All good.
>
> Then the wheels fall off.
>
> There is absolutely no one to blame for any of that but me.
>
> In my view, I see no difference here.

As with anything else operators need to be responsible for their
networks when running them.

If I want to participate in the BGP on the Internet, I need to learn how
to run BGP. If my part of the BGP breaks my network or those of others
because I did not school myself on BGP, it's no one else's fault but
mine. I can't blame the IETF for this.

There is plenty of text freely available on the Internet about RPKI. In
fact, I'd go as far as saying all RIR's have been running RPKI workshops
for years.

Mark.