Measurements of Internet traffic by protocol?

Jeremy Gillula jeremy at eff.org
Tue Nov 27 00:00:58 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Are there statistics out there for the relative "popularity" of
different application-layer protocols by network traffic (i.e. HTTP(S)
vs SMTP(S) vs other protocols)? I realize it will be different from
different vantage points (e.g. a transit provider vs a small residential
ISP), but we'd love to find *any* sources of hard numbers out there.

I've tried to search for data, but the best I could come up with is at
least ten years out of date.

Thanks in advance!