Internet diameter?

Ross Tajvar ross at tajvar.io
Thu Nov 22 04:41:52 UTC 2018

> I’m not sure on what use this data, if collected, would be. Latency is
the most important.
It's not operationally useful in any way that I can think of, but it is
interesting (at least to me). It's possible that Bill has something in
mind, though.

> [...] which is more meaningful a metric, AS-path or hop count?
Good point. Before we can decide which is more useful, we have to decide
what they would be useful for.
But, I think it's not really feasible to analyze hop count, because you
would have to collect that data with a huge number of traceroutes.
Average/median AS-path length can be estimated by static analysis of BGP
tables from various routers.

> Many networks have a large number of routers but the packets don’t stay
in them very long.
It wouldn't be a very good router if the packets hung around for a long
time before leaving :)