IGP protocol

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 18 09:11:47 UTC 2018

On 13/Nov/18 17:30, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Do you know connected host can't talk ISIS to you?
>
> ISIS is false security. In modern platforms OSPF almost always can be
> protected (iACL), ISIS in many times cannot. I'd run MD5 in either
> case.

Yes, IS-IS is designed to speak to connected hosts, but will only do so
if you enable IS-IS on the interface facing that host.

The scope of the exposure, while present, is limited to the radius
between your device and the connected host, vs. OSPF which can be
attacked from much farther away.

Running MD5 on your IGP (and iBGP) should be sold at birth.

Mark.