WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Mon Nov 12 19:08:01 UTC 2018

I recently go a Linksys home wifi router, by default it enables ipv6 on
the LAN. If there is no native IPv6 on the WAN side (which is my case
since FiOS doesnt do v6 yet) the Linksys defaults to a v6 tunnel.

For the first few weeks of using the router, I had no idea alot of my
traffic was going out via the v6 tunnel.

Then I started getting random reachability and availability issues.
Google would not load, but Bing and Yahoo would, and so on. I thought it
was a FiOS issue, but after digging, I discovered the v6 tunnel,
disabled it and all my issues went away.

I dont know what Linksys uses for the v6 tunnel because its buried in
the firmware, but any tunnel service is vulnerable to a variety of
issues that could effect access. Its odd that it always effects Windows
update all the time, but who knows.

-John