WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 11 13:45:40 UTC 2018

On 11/Nov/18 14:02, Chris Knipe wrote:

> Also no problems here with IPv6 and Windows Updates...

The issue is affecting (and has affected) quite a few folk:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a9b1b537-ad27-4718-821b-57ef33174974/windows-update-fails-if-ipv6-is-enabled?forum=w8itpronetworking
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/16e7aa06-9b90-48f8-8370-76c2329b93a8/windows-update-ipv6?forum=ws2016
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-8-pro-windows-update-fails-if-ipv6-is/7ebdac22-6675-402b-ad43-e3fa8450659d

It occurs to me that this, could, perhaps be CDN specific.

I'm currently not in Johannesburg, but last time I checked, the majority
of Windows updates were being handled by Akamai. Perhaps this is where
the issue could be, although we have got local IPv6 peering with Akamai
and don't generally have issues with it.

I'll dig deeper into how Akamai may be involved when I get back home.

Thanks for the pointers.

Mark.