WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 11 09:29:43 UTC 2018

Hi all.

Anyone ever figured out why Windows updates fail when the computer has
an IPv6 connection?

Google has tickets and tickets of this to and outside of Microsoft since
2013, with no real solution or answer as to what the problem actually
is. In essence, many of the solutions out there point toward making sure
the updates do not occur over IPv6, which, in effect, is the same as
disabling it.

I have a family PC at home running Windows 10 Pro, and noticed updates
would fail in recent months. It took me a moment to realize that this
started happening only after I enabled IPv6 in the TCP/IP stack.
Disabling it immediately solves the issue.

Quite odd that this is happening in 2018...

Mark.