Amazon network engineering contact? re: DDoS traffic

John Weekes jw at nuclearfallout.net
Thu Nov 8 21:02:38 UTC 2018

Zach,

Yes, RTBH is used to distribute the null-routes that I mentioned.

Unfortunately, even brief saturation events lasting just 5-10 seconds (a
typical amount of time to detect the loss, issue the null-route, and see
the traffic start to fall off as it is distributed upstream) can cause
real damage to those customers who are sensitive to latency and packet
loss. So while null-routes limit the duration of the impact, they can't
eliminate it entirely. And, of course, the actual target of the attack
-- the now-null-routed IP address -- becomes unreachable, which was
presumably the goal of the attacker.

-John