Opinions on intent-based networking

LF OD bz_siege_01 at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 18:32:03 UTC 2018

Been following the articles on "intent-based" networking from Cisco and other vendors for a couple years now, and I have a basic grasp of the concept of "define your goals/outcomes and automation will make it so", but I do not know the practical applications of it or how you are supposed to convey your "intent". However, $dayjob is a medium-sized enterprise and looking at a potential refresh in the upcoming budget.

So... do any of you at ISPs, Cloud Providers, or Enterprises have any hands-on experience with "intent-based" networking products? If so, could you please provide some info on what caused you to look at it, who did you look at, why did you choose whoever you chose, and is it working out for you?

If you looked at it very closely and decided not to bother with it, I'd also be interested on your take. At $dayjob we have been adopting automation at the application and workload level, but there hasn't been much need for it at the infrastructure level. However, if we can improve the services we offer while refreshing that infrastructure, it wouldn't hurt - depending on cost of course.

Thanks in advance.

LF0D