Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 29 17:47:31 UTC 2018

> On May 29, 2018, at 00:05 , Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>

> I believe you were responding to me, but it was really
> hard to tell.  If so, here's the conversation...
>
>> Also, please don't just look at continental countries
>> when researching.  Look at the small PICs (Pacific
>> Island Countries).  For example, search the posts from
>> Christian on Kiribati on the PICISOC list.  The cost is
>> extraordinary and all the ego-flattering bloat rsk
>> speaks (relevant part of the post id below) of in very
>> expensive to download and is nearly impossible to stop.
>
> --- ben at 6by7.net wrote:
> From: Ben Cannon <ben at 6by7.net>
>
> Then Africa in particular is specifically disadvantaged
> - I spent a good deal of time in Haiti and 4G connectivity
> was abundant at good speeds, as were terrestrial fiber
> connections.
>
> Mirrors my experience in half a dozen other 3rd world
> countries.  Unless there’s something particularly
> oppressive about Africa?
> --------------------------------------
>

> I guess I was more meaning in the Pacific, since I'm
> from there.  And more particularly places like Kiribati,
> Cook Islands, Marquesas and other far flung Pacific
> Island Countries.  My apologies for the confusion. Hati
> and other countries close to a rich mainland country
> do not suffer the same issues due to geography.

While Haiti is clos-ER to a rich mainland country than those
you mentioned, I would not say that it lacks geographic
challenges. They might be a bit less since (more importantly)
fiber has to run past (and thus conveniently to) Hispañola
(the Island containing Haiti and the DR) in order to traverse
other destinations which obviously is not the case in the
areas you mention above.

Almost every area I am aware of in the developing world has
some combination of challenges which drive its continued
lagging behind more developed areas.

This can, by the way, include parts of developed nations which
are underserved due to geographic challenges such as some rural
areas of the united States as mentioned earlier.

These challenges can include any combination of economic,
geographic, geologic, terrain, cultural, political, population
density, etc.

One thing I have found very interesting in my travels…

Every area with challenges seems to think that their challenges
are so unique that solutions that have proven elsewhere cannot
possibly work for them.

Every area with challenges almost always has more in common with
the other areas with challenges than they perceive.

I guess it is easier to talk about why things will not work than
do the hard work of adapting solutions to the differences which
do matter.

Owen