Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 29 17:15:24 UTC 2018

> The http+signature data could then be cashed just fine, and stored in
> the clear.  The web site could determine what to serve up that way to
> maintain security.  All POST commands would have to be HTTPS (data from
> client to server), and of course sensitive information would be returned
> HTTPS only.

Makes a lot of sense, but…

Wouldn’t you also have to require that all GET commands (or at lest GET
commands for strings containing a ? character) be sent via HTTPS?

In many cases, there’s little difference between the data disclosure
of a POST form vs. the disclosure achieved with GET URL?attribute=value&…

Indeed, there are multiple libraries out there which allow one to treat
the variables from POST data and the variables from GET “query strings”
as virtually identical. I suspect that in most cases, the only reason
said libraries distinguish is to maintain namespace separation in case of
collisions (since query strings can also be applied to POST requests).

> Why doesn't that exist?

Because developers are lazy?

Owen