Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 29 16:19:34 UTC 2018

On 29/May/18 18:03, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> Based on my experience a couple of years ago while in West Africa:
>
> If you look at the BGP adjacencies and bidirectional traceroutes for ISPs
> in Sierra Leone or Liberia; Freetown and Monrovia are both are logically
> suburbs of London. Just with much higher transport latencies via the
> submarine fiber link and then transport from UK cable landing station to
> the IX points in London.
>
> The situation is a bit different in Accra, Ghana which is a much larger and
> more economically developed market, and has IXes and ISPs that peer with
> each other domestically.

West Africa has generally lagged a little behind compared to Eastern and
Southern Africa, with regard to closing connectivity gaps within the
local and regional space. The good news is that places such as Ghana and
Nigeria have made excellent strides in fixing this, as you point out.

The work being done by AfPIF (part of ISOC), AFRINIC and a bunch of
country- and region-level NOG's has gone a long a way in promoting local
and regional connectivity through traditional and other means, and we
have seen the fruits of that labour.

Mark.