Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue May 29 14:16:17 UTC 2018

> I am sure these third world nations have more important things to spend
> their money on rather than data plans and data devices. Things like food
> and medicine come to mind...

My goodness, aren't we condescending.  Since we're talking about Kenya
here, a few milliseconds of research reminds us that it's a significant
agricultural exporter.  Agricultural development there is generally about
better use of existing land.

You might also want to learn about M-Pesa, the mobile phone payment system
that everybody uses.  Stores all have a sign with their M-Pesa number so
you can pay them, and there are kiosks all over Nairobi that will exchange
M-Pesa credit and cash.  The 1GB data bundles I mentioned are large ones.
You can get 7MB for a day or 5MB for a week for 5c, which is plenty to
check your messages or look up farm prices.

People in Africa may be poorer than we are, but they are just as smart as
we are, and they are just as able and interested in technology when it is
useful to them.

R's,
John