Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon May 28 22:13:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Ben Cannon <ben at 6by7.net> wrote:

> I’m sorry I simply believe that in 2018 with the advanced and cheap ptp
> radio (ubiquiti anyone? $300 and I have a 200mbit/sec link over 10miles!
> Spend a bit more and go 100km) plus the advancements in cubesats about to
> be launched, even the 3rd world can simply get with the times.
>
> -Ben

Hi Ben,

I do not think you adequately understand the economics of the
situation.

https://www.slideshare.net/InternetSociety/international-bandwidth-and-pricing-trends-in-subsahara-africa-79147043

slide 22, IP transit cost.

Your 200mbit/sec link that costs you $300 in hardware
is going to cost you $4960/month to actually get IP traffic
across, in Nairobi.   Yes, that's about $60,000/year.

Could *you* afford to "get with the times" if that's what
your bandwidth was going to cost you?

Please, do a little research on what the real
costs are before telling others they need to
"simply get with the times."

Thanks!

Matt