Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

nanog at jack.fr.eu.org nanog at jack.fr.eu.org
Mon May 28 16:37:46 UTC 2018

The "do not search a culprit" stuff:
What is the point with encryption ?

If your users have a very-low bandwidth, they will get a crappy service,
with or without encryption
This is our world, our http-based internet is NOT made for a 40k connection

The "tip stuff":
If you simply do not care about encryption, or are willing to trade
privacy for caching because you have no-bandwidth, you can simply break SSL
It costs nothing, and you will not mind the "red lock" (remember: trade-off)

The "philosophical stuff":
About your last part, you are absolutely right, this is a sad situation,
yet not true

Niklaus Wirth (the pascal guy) said in 1995:
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."
This has never been so true ..