Impacts of Encryption Everywhere (any solution?)

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:50:01 UTC 2018

That is super interesting. While one can Internet fine at 5Mbps (save for
streaming UHD movies maybe), I am not convinced 1Mbps can be successfully
shared even if there was no encryption anywhere.
My understanding is that some enterprises do decrypt traffic in flight with
proxies such as bluecoat, though I'm not sure on the particulars of how
that works. I think the overall theory is that the proxy acts as a trusted
CA for all its client and generates the certificate for the destination
hostname on the fly thus terminating the SSL connection and opening new one
on behalf of the client. I do, however, recall that the solution is not
cheap. Neither $ nor computationally or, I'm guessing, in case of a village
if they can't get anything faster than 1Mbps, can they even get power to
run a couple (does the proxy uptime matter?) of proxies of heavy compute?

Another concern would be that caching implies the whole village visits the
same content. I'm not even confident me and wife visit the same content
(save for gmail maybe).

And lastly, most modern websites are very media rich. Unless the whole
village confines their usage to wikipedia.org, I can't imagine that the
experience will be pleasant in anyway or form or there will be any benefit
to caching.

Save for the SSL proxy mentioned above, I have seen folks pull several
crappy DLS connections (Let's say ~1Mbps each) and band them together. If
the provider support the bonding option, great! If not, I've seen folks
basically per flow load balance across the 4 connections.

-Andrey

--Andrey