Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Sat May 26 17:37:47 UTC 2018

On 5/26/2018 12:29 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:
> I don't recall right now the exact details about how they calculate the fine

The *MINIMUM* fine is 10M euros.

SEE: https://www.gdpreu.org/compliance/fines-and-penalties/

This is true no matter how small the business, and (potentially) even if
there was just one minor incident.

And the law is so vague and expansive - and with such massive minimum
fines - that I wonder if this might be exploited to target political
rivals/enemies? Or those who donate to such? It certainly could easily
be weaponized!

And before it even gets nearly to that point, it could also turn into
the equivalent of the tiny city of Waldo, Florida (USA) (population
1K)... who turned their police force into a speeding-ticket revenue
factory for some time before the State of FL shut them down. Certainly,
the Euro bureaucrats are incentivized.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com