Whois vs GDPR, latest news

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat May 26 16:29:22 UTC 2018

I don't recall right now the exact details about how they calculate the fine, which is appropriate for each case, but the 4% of turnover or 20 million Euros is just the maximum amount (per case). I'm sure there is something already documented, about that, or may be is each country DPA the one responsible to define the exact fine for each case.

For example, up to now (with the previous law, LOPD for Spain), the maximum fine was 600.000 euros, and the "starting" fine was 1.500 euros. So, depending on the number of people affected, the degree of infringement, if it is the first time or if the company has been warned or fined before, you can get a fine in the "middle" of those figures.

I'm sure it will be the same way for the GDPR.

Regards,
Jordi