Whois vs GDPR, latest news

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat May 26 11:30:45 UTC 2018

I don't think, in general the DPAs need to use lawsuits.

If they discover (by their own, or by means of a customer claim) that a company (never mind is from the EU or outside) is not following the GDPR, they will just fine it and the corresponding government authorities are the responsible to cash the fine, even with "bank account embargos". If the company is outside the EU, but there are agreements with that country, they can proceed to that via the third country authorities.

Same as when you don't pay a traffic fine in the EU and you are from non-EU countries (some allow the embargo, others not).

This has been happening, in most of the EU countries for a while. In recent months, the Spanish DPA has ordered fines of 600.000 euros (with the previous law, LOPD), to companies such as Facebook, Google, Whatsapp, and many others ...

Regards,
Jordi