Whois vs GDPR, latest news

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu May 24 04:57:46 UTC 2018

In a nutshell this is a tariff war.

They should have pursued their ideas about data privacy etc in
international, multilateral venues.

The EU is only about 10% of the world's population and perhaps 20% of
the world's GDP.

What does, for example, China or India think about all this? Is the EU
going to seek enforcement against Alibaba or Baidu or FlipKart (ok
Walmart owns most of FlipKart now but you get my point I hope)? Latin
America? Africa? Brooklyn?!

Are APEC, ASEAN, CIS, GCC, DJT, etc (regional trade organizations)
each going to launch their own "GDPR"?

My guess:

Some noise, some lawyers make a buttload* of money, other countries
and multinational trade orgs begin resisting which attracts attention
from their non-EU nation members, and then it's modified into
oblivion.

* Note: a "butt" is a standard English barrel measure, a large barrel,
108 imperial gallons.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_brewery_cask_units#Butt

--
        -Barry Shein