Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Wed May 23 14:35:25 UTC 2018

Dan Hollis wrote:
> How about the ones with broken contact data - deliberately or not?
> A whois blacklist sounds good to me. DNS WBL?

Many sites are already doing this locally.  It's just a matter of time
before Spamhaus or an up-and-coming entity has an RBL for it.  The data
is perhaps not precise enough for a blacklist but obfuscated whois
records are certainly useful in calculating the reputation of
ingress/egress SMTP, HTTP and other services.  This is not a new idea
and similar to the (unmaintained?) whois.abuse.net contact lookup
service, razor/pyzor, and other useful SIEM and Spamassassin inputs.

Roger Marquis