Whois vs GDPR, latest news

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed May 23 01:50:17 UTC 2018

>What about the likely truth that if anyone from Europe mails the list, then
>every mail server operator with subscribers to the list must follow the
>GDPR Article 14 notification requirements, as the few exceptions appear to
>not apply (unless you’re just running an archive).

Some of us whose businesses and equipment are entirely in North
America will take our chances.  This is NANOG, not EUNOG, you know.

Also, one thing that has become painfully clear is that the number of
people who imagine that they understand the GDPR exceeds the number
who actually understand it by several orders of magnitude.

The "you have to delete all my messages from the archive if I
unsubscribe" nonsense is a good indicator.

R's,
John