Segment Routing

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 22 09:34:12 UTC 2018

On 22/May/18 10:19, Matt Geary wrote:

> Yeah Cisco rep commented that adding LDP to nexus would make ASR
> obsolete. 48x10g with LDP for $5-7k Yeah no brainer.

Gee, someone at Cisco had their thinking cap on. Let's hope Gert isn't
reading this, lest he vent-off about the 6500/7600 debacle (and rightly
so) :-).

Seriously though, crippling one box to help ship another has never sat
well with me. In the first instance, what business does a switch have
being a label switching router? Maybe I'm too purist, but when functions
begin to overlap like this, it's headache for operators and multiple
sources of revenue for equipment vendors, despite what their "portfolio
positioning" suggests. They are very aware about the confusion they are
causing, at our expense.

At least there are some new entrants into the space that haven't yet
been totally corrupted by the silo-based approach that leads to the same
company appearing like 1,200 different ones.

> Although on other point I am not really seeing the value of SR to
> replace LDP on my backbone. With some scripting and lots of software
> tools I can make it just like LDP, but why? So break the ease of LDP
> just to get label switching on my hub core not really seeing it,
> unless someone has done it and they are seeing the value.

Yep, my point exactly.

Mark.