Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Badiei, Farzaneh farzi at gatech.edu
Thu May 17 15:42:40 UTC 2018

The privacy implications that WHOIS had for domain name registrants was not only acknowledged by Europe. For a long time we were in a battle to get minimum privacy for domain registrants and the privacy proxy services provided some sort of relief. But the intellectual property interest with the backing of governments always dominated the discussions. otherwise IETF had recognized the privacy issues of WHOIS as early as 2002 and protocols were recommended that could respect registrants privacy rights.

This was not solely a European issue. It was a global issue and with GDPR coming into effect it only made the process faster and diluted the power of ip people and those who were piggy backing on their power. It's time to move on. GDPR is not a great law but a community that for so many years violated the privacy rights of domain name registrants had to be somehow stopped. It's unfortunate that we didn't deal with this through innovative ways... But  saying Europe and GDPR brought this upon us is false.