Curiosity about AS3356 L3/CenturyLink network resiliency (in general)

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun May 20 03:43:07 UTC 2018

Re-read what David Hubbard said:

> unacceptable period of time (many hours).  I’m learning that the entire
> market is served by just two fiber routes, through cities hundreds of miles
> away in either direction.  So, basically two fiber cuts, potentially 1000+
> miles apart, takes the entire region down.

If in fact there's only two fiber conduit approaches to the area,  he's
basically stuck no matter how many companies sell him bandwidth in those two
conduits. He can contract with 8 companies to have 4 paths through each
conduit, and 2 cable cuts *still* leave him dead in the water.

(Bonus points for estimating the chances that at least one of those 8 companies
will do one or more of the following: (a) not knowing which conduit the path will
be in, (b) actively lie about the conduit in order to seal the deal, or (c) re-provision
the path several weeks later into the other conduit....)

And he probably doesn't have the budget to dig a third trench several hundred
miles to a third city...