Curiosity about AS3356 L3/CenturyLink network resiliency (in general)

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Fri May 18 13:55:47 UTC 2018

On 05/18/2018 04:20 AM, Tom Hill wrote:
> On 17/05/18 14:24, Mike Hammett wrote:
>> There's some industry hard-on with having a few ginormous routers instead of many smaller ones.
>
> "Industry hard-on", ITYM "Greedy vendors".

I think this view (both versions) are a little over the top.  "Never
attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

The "stupidity" in this instance is poor market analysis, perhaps with
the market research folks concentrating on large service provider
customers at the expense of enterprise customers with very, very large
data traffic needs but fewer ports per location.

They could also be concentrating on the very large providers working on
the theory that the rate of return on boxes requiring a fork lift to
install is higher than the rate of return on the 1U or 2U variety.

> Try finding a 'small' router with a lot of ports (1 & 10GE) for your
> customers, and the right features/TCAM/CP performance, for a price that
> permits you to buy a lot of them.

What happened when you sent out your last RPQ to the vendors with these
requirements?